The Basics for Friday: food, water and restrooms + gathering places.
MM 0 kiosk is located across from Jamestown Settlement at the corner of Jamestown Road and the Colonial Parkway.
- Restrooms: located inside the Settlement to the left after you enter the lobby. (Probably my favorite public restroom as all their soap dispensers, water faucets, toilets and doors are hands-free. :) Jamestown Settlement is usually open from 9a - 5pm daily.
- Food & Water: There are water fountains in the lobby & a Cafe to the left, past the restrooms. www.JamestownSettlement.com
MM 2-3 - Spoke & Art Provisions Company offers light lunch fare, snacks, ice cream and beverages, including coffee drinks. Open 9am - 7pm. www.spokeandart.com
MM 20 - Charles City Courthouse
- Restrooms are located in a building between the old Clerk’s Office (now the Visitor’s Center) and the new courthouse off Watermelon Fields Road and also inside Cul’s Courthouse Grille (opens at 11 am) – and a favorite among cyclists for lunch. www.culscourthousegrille.com
- GATHERING PLACE: The new pavilion behind the Grille is where 3 Day Bike About cyclists will be gathering for FREE brownies from 9am - 4pm. There are tables to sit at, heaters if it’s a bit chilly, a bar to get a beer ($) and wait staff to take your food orders after 11am. Water will also be available.
- p.s. This is a staff favorite and was a hit with 2021 3DBA riders.
MM 22 -
- Indian Fields Tavern. Opens at 11:30 am. www.indianfieldstavern.com
MM 30 - Upper Shirley Plantation and Vineyards - located about 1 mile off the VCT (partially paved, partially dirt/gravel road & parking lot), is the Shirley Plantation with the vineyards & restaurant located next door. Restrooms and water available if either location is open. www.uppershirley.com
Proceeding west on the VCT porta-potties located along the way, usually at Herring Creek (MM 28) and Willis Church Road (MM 36) - just no guarantee.
MM 40 – Four Mile Creek
- Bonus Gathering Place: Courtesy of the Virginia Capital Trail Foundation, Trail Ambassador John Braff will be one hand at Four Mile Creek with water and snacks from 10 am - 3pm. John will also be answering questions about the VCT.
Restrooms & water:
- Porta-potties are located in the parking lot.
- Indoor restrooms are located in the Exxon/Dairy Queen across Route 5. Food & water can also be found there.
- Restrooms are also located in Dorey Park - take the spur to the right a couple of miles west of Four Mile Creek.
Between MM 40 & MM 52, there are various businesses where food, water and restrooms can be found. To name just a few:
MM 45 - The Original Ronnie’s BBQ - a family owned and operated establishment which moved to its current location specifically to be on the VCT to serve cyclists. www.theoriginalronnies.com
MM 48 - (new) 7 - 11 convenience store has an outdoor seating area with bike racks. They also have hot/cold grab-and-go food, drinks, coffee and fresh baked cookies as well as those Slurpees some of us have come to know and love. Enjoy.
MM 50 - Shockoe Slip
- Urban Farmhouse Market & Cafe (1217 E. Cary St) www.urbanfarmhouse.net
- The Boathouse at Rocketts Landing (4708 E. Main St) www.theboathouseva.com
Porta-potties in Great Shiplock Park where the VCT ends. Basics -